1. krisGX470
  2. Lexus
  3. Wednesday, 29 May 2019

Hi.

I have a 2003 Lexus GX470 with Nav/Mark Levinson.  I had Bestbuy install the Tesla style unit and in general most things work and I have customized with Carwebguru and Car Launcher, but a few things do not work so looking for ideas.

1. The screen buttons for temperature do not work.  The physical buttons work and I can adjust the fan speed and the air position from the screen, but when I click on the button temp buttons it opens the climate control screen but nothing works when you press the + / - or up/down buttons.  Certain things like the air recirculation also work on the screen, but auto, defrost do not.   So seems strange that some things do work while others do not.  

2. There is no OBD info displayed in the stock theme where you can show the speed and RPM.  Is there a cable that needs to be connected or do you NEED a separate OBD reader and plug that into the port?  I understand a wifi version is required, so if it is connected via wifi does that impact the ability to get data to the head unit?

3. I can't get iphone mirroring to work with an iPhone 8 or 8 plus with iOS 12.  I can get it to work on an iPhone 5c running iOS 10.  I also tried my newer iPad with iOS 12 and it did not work.  I see a circle with 3 dots so it is connected, and a gray screen may show briefly, but most of the time just a black screen with the circle/dots.  So it is connected but not projecting the display.  The 5C showed it very quickly.  So seems like an iOS 12 issue?

4. On one of the themes where is a pitch and roll with compass.  the compass is showing almost the opposite of the true direction and so it seems like it needs calibration but not sure how to do this given the unit is in the dash....  Ideas on compass calibration?  I think the same issue for the compass with Carwebguru too....

Thanks

Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo

I havent recieved my radio yet. How long did it take to get yours? What model did you get? Did you apply any and all the updates?

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo

I actually got mine from Aliexpress...it is a 7.1 32 gb 2gb rom.  It works and I did use anutu to confirm the hardware and software details.  The shipping was pretty quick....a couple of weeks.  

I asked the seller if there was an update to which they said no.  I did install Car Launcher and Carwebguru as a theme override....and it is pretty cool to customize.   

Other than the issues pointed out, it is pretty gool, apple carplay works well (I have the usb dongle but ordered the new wireless dongle) and it is awesome to have all of this functionality in a 16 year old car!

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo

Hi thanks for posting. Can you post a video/pictures of this unit inside your vehicle please? Also, the link from Ali for others to buy/reference please.

#1 I've heard this may be an issue with the car type. You made need to cycle through different types such as OLD BADAO WITH DISK HI (not sure what it will be called on your unit)

#2 Don't think this is supported on the GX's. Have yet to see anyone get this to work

#3 Does your head unit require the iPhone to have hotspot for this? I know on the older phoenix android units you must have hotspot enabled to be able to mirror with an iPhone. I haven't had a chance to test it with iOS 12 but will report back. The iPhone mirror function was useless for my unit, couldn't mirror-stream-video which is what I really wanted it for.

#4 Not sure but I know the compass doesn't work right unless vehicle is running and moving on older units

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo

Other than the issues pointed out, it is pretty gool, apple carplay works well (I have the usb dongle but ordered the new wireless dongle) and it is awesome to have all of this functionality in a 16 year old car!

Where did you find a wireless carplay dongle?

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo

Here is the system I bought

Android Unit for Lexus GX470

At this point based on my experience with customer services, I would NOT recommend just buying something off of Aliexpress.  Phoenix Radio answered my questions fast and all I bought from them was the wifi OBD device.  So, go with the US based reseller if you are in North America.  I have emailed this reseller 6 times and got one response that was barely understandable.  I think at the time it was cheaper but Phoenix price is about the same now.  Lesson learned.

Here is a video of my review of the unit, including Apple Carplay and Car Launcher theme app.

https://youtu.be/t1fE5Hf8YZY

Despite the issues, I must say, I love it...the ability to make a 16 year old car almost new again with bluetooth hand free calling, Apple Carplay (which works pretty good), Internet, TPMS, and more is pretty cool.   It is a little slow. I am sure the next rev of these will be 8 core, 4 GB of RAM.  I have seen some new Tesla Model 3 type screens coming out with that configuration.  This is one from Phoenix

Thinking about this for my Audi but might be a bit overkill... 

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo

this is where I got the wireless Carplay dongle.

Aliexpress Carplay dongle

It is back ordered.  

I have also seen something here at RSNav.  https://rsnav.com/

I am going to try for the 3rd time to put this wireless Carplay box here  into my audi A6 2011.  It will also have wireless carplay and add a backup camera.  Bestbuy tried 2 times but the harness is not quite right so going to try to hardwire it tomorrow.... If that does not work I may get one of the embedded screens like you see here. The good thing is this guy Daniel is actually responsive both via email and he actually called us when I had it at BestBuy the 2nd time to try to help.  Not sure if he is a one man shop but focused more on Audis.

1. more than a month ago
  2. Lexus
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!